Chelsea were beaten by Charlotte FC in their most recent pre-season friendly.
Thomas Tuchel’s side did battle with the MLS outfit on their home patch, the Bank of America Stadium, and were eventually defeated in a penalty shootout.
American icon Christian Pulisic put Chelsea in front on the half hour mark, but were unable to extend their advantage.
That allowed Charlotte to grab a last-gasp equaliser from the penalty spot through Daniel Rios, who also scored a delicious Panenka versus Edouard Mendy in the shootout.
In the end, it was Conor Gallagher’s dreadful spot kick that allowed the hosts to secure a 5-3 victory in football’s equivalent of the lottery draw.
One man who did manage to find the back of the net in the shootout for Chelsea was Raheem Sterling and all in all, the £45 million signing from Manchester City was pretty impressive on debut.
The England international was introduced at half-time by Tuchel and looked very sharp throughout his cameo in the North Carolina heat.
— Tope Joel Omotimehin (@omotimehin_tope) July 21, 2022
- Chelsea’s next 5 EPL matches including a home match against Arsenal
- CHE 0-1 NOF: Caicedo’s Performance In Today’s Game Showed Why Chelsea Were Wrong To Sign Him
- Crucial Talks: Juventus Demands €40m for Vlahović in Lukaku Swap, Chelsea’s Decision Lies with Pochettino
- Chelsea’s Transfer Pursuit Intensifies: Michael Olise of Crystal Palace Emerges as Prime Winger Target
- Chelsea’s Pursuit of Tyler Adams can Bolstering the Squad for a Successful Season