Todd Boehly could green-light January move As £80m player loves that Chelsea are so desperate to sign him
Todd Boehly is reportedly prepared to give the green light on a deal for Chelsea to sign RB Leipzig’s Josko Gvardiol in January.
Gvardiol, 20, is a defender everyone’s talking about after some excellent performances at the World Cup in Croatia colours.
The youngster is a Rolls-Royce centre-back that massively enhanced his own reputation, which leaves his club side in a real position of strength.
Foot Mercato claimed earlier this month that Leipzig have already received a bid worth over £80million from Chelsea for Gvardiol.
It’s certainly going to be interesting to see how the defender’s transfer saga unfolds.
Gvardiol deal in January
According to 90min, Chelsea have been in discussions about signing Gvardiol next month. It’s something that co-owner Boehly is prepared to sanction, too.
The report explains the Croatian is more likely to actually exit in the summer, but Graham Potter’s side may have an advantage over rival buyers because they’re trying to get a deal wrapped up in January.
Apparently, the likes of Manchester City, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham have all expressed interest in Gvardiol. None are as advanced with their approaches as Chelsea, though.
It’s going to be interesting to see how Gvardiol copes now at club level with this new spotlight around him.
The left-footed centre-half will hope to keep impressing for German side Leipzig, who do face Manchester City in February in the Champions League knockout rounds.
Some World Cup stars often fall into the trap of a massive drop off after success on the international stage, but we can’t see that happening with this extremely talented youngster
- Former Chelsea Manager Thomas Tuchel Becomes the head coach of German Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich
- Chelsea’s Next Five Fixtures Across All Competitions After The International Break
- Kante return, Fernandez and Felix injured – Chelsea best and worst international break scenarios
- Chelsea set to Terminate Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Contract after frowned-upon visit to Barcelona dressing room
- Big Chelsea decision made after board tells £280k-a-week demanding star ‘he is free to leave’