‘Crazy, crazy bid’: Chelsea are going to have to pay huge money to sign 23-year-old in January
Fabrizio Romano has suggested that Chelsea will need to fork out major money to have any chance of signing Rafael Leao in January.
Speaking on the House of Champions channel, Romano issued a warning to Todd Boehly that the bank may need to be broken in order to buy the AC Milan attacker.
Boehly is seemingly intent on raiding the San Siro for their sizzling 23-year-old forward, whether that be next month or in the summer.
Ideally, Graham Potter could do with acquiring Leao sooner rather than later.
His current front line have faltered in the last few fixtures, and are now a man down following the injury to Armando Broja.
Yet, the Chelsea manager might have to accept that Leao won’t be heading to Stamford Bridge after the New Year, unless Boehly brings out the big bucks.
“No, it’s not a done deal at all because Milan will try to keep the player. They will try to extend his contract. I think it’s going to be real difficult to sign Leao in January. It could be different in summer,” explained Romano.
“To sign the player in January, they will need a crazy, crazy bid.”
Chelsea will need major cash for Leao
If anyone has the finances to make a ludicrous offer, it is Boehly.
He signed off £278.4m worth of new recruits ahead of the current season, the highest figure of any Premier League club.
Why stop at one big spending spree?
Numerous names have been linked with Chelsea ahead of the winter window, including Leao.
Milan certainly do not want to relinquish their Portugal international, and have apparently placed a £128m valuation on his head to ward off suitors.
This amount, plus the fact Christopher Nkunku is on his way to South West London, might make Boehly reconsider moving to Leao.
- Former Chelsea Manager Thomas Tuchel Becomes the head coach of German Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich
- Chelsea’s Next Five Fixtures Across All Competitions After The International Break
- Kante return, Fernandez and Felix injured – Chelsea best and worst international break scenarios
- Chelsea set to Terminate Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Contract after frowned-upon visit to Barcelona dressing room
- Big Chelsea decision made after board tells £280k-a-week demanding star ‘he is free to leave’