Chelsea transfers News LIVE: Badiashile bid, Gvardiol talks, Nkunku latest, Kepa replacement
Chelsea news: The latest gossip, headlines and updates from the world of the Blues throughout the day.
Welcome to the football.london liveblog, your one-stop shop for Chelsea transfer news on Monday, December 26.
Whilst it is only Boxing Day, Todd Boehly and co will, undoubtedly, have one eye firmly fixed on the January sales! The Blues are said to be close to chasing several deals ahead of the winter window with a busy month expected at Stamford Bridge.
Fans were greeted with the news on Christmas Eve that Chelsea are working to sign a left centre-back. The club are thought to be in talks with AS Monaco over a potential deal for Benoit Badiashile, while the likes of Josko Gvardiol and Evan Ndicka remain options.
Then there is the drawn-out move for RB Leipzig’s Christopher Nkunku. Negotiations have been underway for a number of months now and progress on the deal is likely to be made throughout January.
Do not forget, the Blues also return to Premier League action against Bournemouth tomorrow night. We will have news covered on Graham Potter’s preparations for that one.
So, strap yourselves in for this and plenty more festive fun throughout the day. Do not go anywhere!
Chelsea January transfer priorities revealed
According to The Athletic, Chelsea manager Graham Potter has two priorities heading into next month – a centre-back and a central striker.
Benoit Badiashile is reportedly the top target in defence to play on the left side of a back three. The Blues are also said to be in the market for a midfielder and a back-up goalkeeper, although they’re not seen as pressing.
David Datro Fofana is already set to arrive at Stamford Bridge in the coming weeks following his move from Molde. But it’s been suggested the 20-year-old will be loaned out immediately in January as the club want him to gain more experience elsewhere.
That likely means going back into the market for a striker, but the report states that Potter may not have the funds available to him. It is said that Chelsea are planning ‘an ambitious recruitment drive’ in the summer transfer window and money is being put aside for the end of the season.
Money is also currently being used to invest in Chelsea’s academy with Andrey Santos the latest through the door, in a deal that could be worth up to £35m. Chelsea had been strongly linked with Brazilian starlet Endrick, but Real Madrid beat them to his signature. They’re now said to be looking at Vitor Roque as an alternative to Endrick, but he too will likely be one for the future at 17 years of age.
Chelsea target Leeds star as Kepa Arrizabalaga replacement
Manchester United and Chelsea are set to battle it out for the signing of Leeds goalkeeper Illan Meslier.
At the age of 22, Meslier is one of the youngest regular starting goalkeepers in the Premier League. To be performing at the highest level at his age is a rarity in his position, so it speaks volumes about the Frenchman’s ability.
A report from Media Foot has now claimed that Manchester United and Chelsea are both interested in signing Meslier. There’s been plenty of speculation surrounding the goalkeeper situation at both United and Chelsea.
Kepa Arrizabalaga and Edouard Mendy could both leave Stamford Bridge in the coming months as Graham Potter looks to make a decision on his goalkeepers.
Chelsea leading race for Declan Rice
Chelsea are reportedly best positioned to secure a deal for West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice during the summer transfer window.
The Blues are long-term admirers of the England international, who initially spent time with the Blues academy ranks as a teenager before signing for the Hammers.
Since then, Rice has developed into one of the most highly-regarded midfielders in the world, making a total of 215 appearances for West Ham in all competitions. According to The Athletic, Rice has no intention of entertaining any contract extension and wants to play Champions League football.
Chelsea make £56m move for Jude Bellingham alternative
Chelsea have made a move for Real Sociedad midfielder Martin Zubimendi who has a £56m release clause.
Transfer insider Simon Phillips has told GiveMeSport that Chelsea have made the first move for Zubimendi ahead of the January transfer window. The report claims that Zubimendi has a £56m release clause in his contract and with a new midfielder necessary for Chelsea, it could be a smart move.
At just 23 years old, Zubimendi has plenty of years left in the game, so at £56m it could be a shrewd long-term investment.
Chelsea have been linked with a host of players leading up to the January transfer window, with Fabrizio Romano confirming to CaughtOffside via his Substack column that Jude Bellingham was a player they could make a move for, but with hefty competition expected, a move for Zubimendi could be more realistic.
Keep or sell? You decide!
Who do you think Chelsea should keep or sell ahead of the January transfer window? Decide now!
Chelsea closing in on £17.5m signing as player celebrates in Blue and White at Christmas
Andrey Santos is close to sealing a £17.5million transfer to Chelsea from Vasco da Gama ahead of the January transfer window.
The Brazilian wonderkid is set to join David Datro Fofana as the Blues’ first two signings in January.
Santos was pictured celebrating Christmas in Chelsea colours as he edges closer to a move to Stamford Bridge.
Graham Potter on Chelsea January plans
Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s Premier League clash against Bournemouth, Graham Potter hinted that the Blues may struggle to find the correct solutions in the January transfer window.
“What I would say is that historically the January window isn’t so straightforward to find solutions,” he said.
“From my perspective, there was an extreme period and I would not want to make too many drastic assessments based on that extreme period. I think the team, as I see it, has not functioned as maximally as I would like it to and I think it can do.
“The job of a head coach is to focus on the ones that are here and make them better. There is room for improvement there, for sure.”
West Ham’s Declan Rice stance explained
Chelsea are likely to have to wait until the summer to secure a deal for West Ham United and England midfielder Declan Rice with the east London club standing firm on not allowing the 23-year-old to depart in the January transfer window.
The winter window opens next Sunday and Graham Potter will certainly be keen to see some fresh faces come through the door at Cobham with the Blues eighth in the Premier League, eight points off of fourth place Tottenham who have played one game more than their London rivals.
There is serious ground to be made up already and reinforcements next month will be vital to how the Chelsea head coach fares in his role.
However, should the west London club hope to sign a midfielder next month, they will have to look elsewhere than their long-term target and former youth player Rice who is set to stay at the London Stadium until at least the end of the season.
N’Golo Kante drawn into Cristiano Ronaldo transfer saga
Cristiano Ronaldo’s potential move to Saudi side Al-Nassr has raised eyebrows – and the possibility of him being joined by N’Golo Kante has now emerged, as per The Mirror.
Ronaldo is without a club after his Manchester United contract was cancelled on the eve of the World Cup last month. Despite looking to find another Champions League club, the Portuguese international has found a shortage of options and is now reported to be closing in on a move to the Middle East.
The big-money move to Al-Nassr, if completed, would see him land a huge, £175m-a-year deal which would only increase when he moves into an ambassadorial role after his playing career is over. It is a lucrative move, and one which could be made even more appealing by the prospect of being joined by Kante in the summer.
The Chelsea midfielder is set to enter the final six months of his contract in January and could be available on a free transfer at the end of the season.
Every word Potter said on Bournemouth
Chelsea make a long-awaited return to Premier League action when they welcome Bournemouth to Stamford Bridge tomorrow.
Graham Potter has been able to spend a few weeks working with his players in Abu Dhabi during a warm-weather training camp ahead of the match.
Chelsea in talks to sign Monaco star Benoit Badiashile
With Josko Gvardiol’s rising value, Chelsea are considering alternative options for January/next summer, including Evan N’Dika and Piero Hincapie. Badiashile has emerged as the priority at present.
No deal has been agreed between Chelsea and AS Monaco for Benoit Badiashile, but multiple sources believe he will join in the weeks ahead for around £30million
- Chelsea vs Aston Villa Starting XI Lineup: Joao Felix, Havertz, Mudryk Start in Attack Cucurella and Koulibaly Start in Defense #CHEAVL
- EPL: Reece James Gets Enzo Fernandez’s Haircut ahead of Aston Villa’s Clash
- Transfer News: Done Deals, Chelsea strong contenders for Osimhen, Arsenal pushing to sign Lindstrom
- What Could Happen To Real Madrid As Star Player Could Miss Q/F Clash Against Chelsea At The Bernabeu
- Mykhailo Mudryk, ranked second most fastest player in Premier League…Kieran Tierney is the only defender that made top 10
Sports News21 hours ago
Graham Potter speaks out on Romelu Lukaku return to Chelsea
Sports News21 hours ago
What Could Happen To Real Madrid As Star Player Could Miss Q/F Clash Against Chelsea At The Bernabeu
Sports News7 hours ago
Transfer News: Done Deals, Chelsea strong contenders for Osimhen, Arsenal pushing to sign Lindstrom
Sports News21 hours ago
Joao Felix reveals why Thiago Silva is the Chelsea player that surprised him the most
Sports News21 hours ago
Mykhailo Mudryk, ranked second most fastest player in Premier League…Kieran Tierney is the only defender that made top 10
Sports News6 hours ago
EPL: Reece James Gets Enzo Fernandez’s Haircut ahead of Aston Villa’s Clash
Line-up2 hours ago
Chelsea vs Aston Villa Starting XI Lineup: Joao Felix, Havertz, Mudryk Start in Attack Cucurella and Koulibaly Start in Defense #CHEAVL