Chelsea are ‘keen to extend Reece James’
contract past 2025′
- Reece James has become an important part of Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea side
- At 22, he is already a Champions League winner and regular starter for England
- New owner Todd Boehly is reportedly keen to keep James and Mason Mount
- Hanging on to their stars could be vital if Chelsea are to challenge for trophies
Chelsea are ‘looking to offer star fullback Reece James a contract extension’ despite his current deal already running to June 2025.
The 22-year-old was a key player for Chelsea last season, scoring six goals in 39 appearances. He has also become a regular for England, playing 13 games since his debut two years ago.
He is already a Champions League winner and one of the most highly-rated fullbacks in the world.
James is currently half way through a five-and-a-half year deal signed in 2020, but Chelsea’s new owners seem desperate to tie him down for even longer.
According to reports in i Sport, contract talks that aim to keep the defender at Stanford Bridge ‘into his late 20s’ will take place in ‘the next few weeks’.
They also report that James and Mason Mount are seen as key players in new Chelsea owner Todd Boehly’s plans for the future, as he looks to build a side around the popular academy graduates.
While tying down key players will be key if Chelsea are to challenge distant frontrunners Liverpool and Manchester City for the Premier League title next season, the lack of signings so far may be a concern for fans.
Thomas Tuchel’s side are in need of a centre back and a striker after losing Andreas Christensen, Antonio Rudiger and Romelu Lukaku.
Matthijs de Ligt had been heavily linked with the club but now appears to be closer to joining Bayern Munich, although Raheem Sterling has agreed personal terms with the Blues and they could still bring in Cristiano Ronaldo
- Chelsea Unveils New Jersey Sponsor For The 2023/2024 Season
- Christopher Nkunku, Cole Palmer and Romeo Lavia send Chelsea star message upon return from knock
- Mauricio Pochettino breaks silence on Reece James after Chelsea star charged by the FA
- Just IN: Chelsea announce £40m Infinite Athlete shirt sponsorship deal
- Starting Lineup Of Chelsea Players That Are Currently Unavailable Due To Injury Or Suspension