The Chelsea striker appears close to leaving the club this summer, with a loan on the horizon
Chelsea are set to sign the final bits of paperwork that will see Romelu Lukaku make a loan return to Inter Milan this summer, according to reports. The Belgian has been heavily linked with an exit from the club as Thomas Tuchel prepares for a number of changes.
It comes after a disappointing season for the striker, just one year after making the club-record transfer back to Stamford Bridge. The 29-year-old scored just eight goals and assisted once in 26 Premier League appearances.
However, Tuchel had backed him to return to goalscoring form: “Yeah. I still believe that he will [score goals] because he always did, we need more patience than maybe we all have and wanted with this signing.”
However, it appears as though next season will not be spent in England, as reports have suggested that a return to Inter Milan could be on the cards. Lukaku spent two years in Italy, scoring 64 goals in 91 appearances.
The striker had also helped guide the Nerazzurri to the Scudetto, the first in over ten years, breaking Juventus’ dominance. In his absence, the side finished second last season, behind city rivals AC Milan.
He could help them push to reclaim their crown, as Fabrizio Romano reports that paperwork is being signed over the final agreement for a loan. It will be worth €8million (£6.8million) with add-ons included, recouping some of what the Blues paid for the original deal.
Tuchel will now be tasked with picking out a suitable replacement, with the need for goals increasing by the day.
- Chelsea Unveils New Jersey Sponsor For The 2023/2024 Season
- Christopher Nkunku, Cole Palmer and Romeo Lavia send Chelsea star message upon return from knock
- Mauricio Pochettino breaks silence on Reece James after Chelsea star charged by the FA
- Just IN: Chelsea announce £40m Infinite Athlete shirt sponsorship deal
- Starting Lineup Of Chelsea Players That Are Currently Unavailable Due To Injury Or Suspension