Chelsea close to agreeing fee north of £55m with Leeds for Raphinha.
Chelsea close to agreeing fee for Raphinha as they edge ahead of Arsenal in race for Leeds forward
By David Ornstein
Chelsea close to agreeing fee for Raphinha as they edge ahead of Arsenal in race for Leeds forward.
Chelsea are understood to be close to agreeing a fee with Leeds United for Raphinha but the race for his signature is not yet closed, The Athletic understands.
Conversations between the clubs are believed to be at a point where Chelsea have verbally indicated they are ready to pay a price north of £55 million, which it is thought Leeds would accept.
It would then come down to Raphinha’s preference, with Chelsea said to be in pole position to secure the Brazil international as things stand.
That is because Barcelona — who it was long expected he would join this summer — are not currently in a financial position to make a deal and Arsenal have yet to reach the level Chelsea are at.
Raphinha has enjoyed two fine seasons since moving to Leeds, scoring 17 Premier League goals in 65 top-flight appearances.
His current deal at Leeds is due to expire in 2024.
Chelsea are currently trying to bring Raheem Sterling to Stamford Bridge, while Arsenal have signed Fabio Vieira and are on the cusp of adding Gabriel Jesus.
- Former Chelsea Manager Thomas Tuchel Becomes the head coach of German Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich
- Chelsea’s Next Five Fixtures Across All Competitions After The International Break
- Kante return, Fernandez and Felix injured – Chelsea best and worst international break scenarios
- Chelsea set to Terminate Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Contract after frowned-upon visit to Barcelona dressing room
- Big Chelsea decision made after board tells £280k-a-week demanding star ‘he is free to leave’